Korken's Peaceful Warrior Journey

KORKEN'S PEACEFUL WARRIOR JOURNEY

Sunday, July 24, 2011

What's Life Without Desire?

So now that you know WHY I'm doing this... I'd love to take you through the ideas and thoughts I've been having the last two weeks. And then in the next blog, I'll map out all the details of the journey. (if you haven't read my first blog below, please do so before continuing)

"When there is no desire, all things are at peace."

I kept thinking about this quote for days. What was it really trying to say? How did it fit into the journey I was preparing to take? And slowly I began to understand that everything that I had been taught since I was a kid was keeping me from seeing the simplicity in this message. It wasn't saying that I should do nothing with my life. It was saying that the need for personal desires kept me from my peace. And slowly I began to piece it all together...

THE AMERICAN DREAM
We all want to be somebody... the president of the United States, the American Idol, the valedictorian, the scientist that finds a cure for cancer, a great novelist, a doctor, an actor, a priest... From the second we first stepped into a classroom, we were taught that we had to go to college and be a success at something..anything! The American Dream was infused into our bones and mind through our parents. We saw how hard they worked to get us the things we needed and they expected even greater things from us.

You couldn't help but think that this was the only way. Success, achievement, credentials, grades, MONEY, power, respect! The more things you own, and the more people know you, and the higher your ranking... the more successful you are. We all await that glorious day... where we can stand in front of our parents, friends, and loved ones and BE a success. All that hard work will finally pay off! Then you will be important and people will know you and they will remember you. We all want to be remembered after we leave this Earth.

Go, go, go, go, go... keep swimming, keep trying, keep pushing, keep improving...whatever you do just don't give up on your dreams!!! Sometimes you even stop to wonder who you're doing all this for. Is this what I want? Is this the only way to my happiness? Why is this so important to me? Am I happy? And you ignore all these questions and you keep pushing and trying and FINALLY....you're there! A success!! You're at the top of the game... you've made it. You have the money, the house, the kids, the respect. You have it ALL!

But there's something missing. Something terribly missing. You realize that there's another ladder to climb. That now people expect more from you. You expect more from yourself. You don't have enough. And the wicked cycle goes on and on until your time comes to leave this world and you look back and think..."Damn, I sure did live the American Dream. I did well for myself. I could have done better, but I did my best. Hopefully they will remember me."

But your heart asks you a few questions. Did you enjoy your time here on Earth? Were you at peace? Were you happy? What did you do for others less fortunate than yourself? How did you make a difference?

And you realize that this whole need to be a great success was an illusion that kept you from your own happiness and peace. You spent 90% of your life trying to convince yourself that you were worthy. And yes, you donated to charities and gave money to the homeless. But you spent most of your waking hours worrying about how you were going to be remembered, rather than worrying about how you could really make a difference in this world. Because that's where you will find your peace. And I remembered what the 'Tao' had said to me from day one...

“The Master has no possessions.
The more he does for others, the happier he is.
The more he gives to others, the wealthier he is.”

And it all made sense. This is the purpose of my journey. To get outside of myself, my desires. To find happiness and wealth through service. Will I come back to acting? Who knows? But I know that if I do come back to it, it will be from a whole different perspective.

I don't have to prove anything to anyone. Not even to myself. My success as an actor doesn't come from a paycheck or a series regular role on TV, or even from celebrity status. It comes from how my work and passion affect those around me. I want to act to inspire, to help people see something differently, to bring joy and love into their lives. I'm not saying don't follow your passion and have ambitions. I'm saying don't spend the rest of your life judging your worth based on money and credentials and whether you will be remembered. Base it on love, on service, on compassion. And you will find peace.

3 comments: